The Center for Applied Linguistics develops a variety of publications related to the teaching and learning of languages, linguistics, policy, immigrant and refugee integration, and more.
Our publications are described within this section and also cross-referenced under the appropriate topic areas for your convenience. We invite you to browse our complete list of publications. Click on a title below for a brief description. To learn more or to order, visit the CAL Store.
Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education has been updated to reflect new knowledge, practices, and policies in the arena of dual language education. The third edition of this widely used resource is designed to serve as an effective tool for planning, self-reflection, and continual improvement.
Based on a 21st century approach to academic literacy that is aligned with today’s rigorous standards, this resource provides research-based strategies and practical, hands-on tools to help educators develop effective classroom activities. The package includes a comprehensive workbook supported by authentic classroom video and two complete unit plans on CD-ROM.
- Foundations of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 6th Edition
- Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education – Third Edition
- Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education, Second Edition
- Handbook of Heritage, Community, and Native American Languages in the United States: Research, Policy, and Educational Practice
- Helping English Learners Succeed: An Overview of the SIOP Model (Video)
- Helping Newcomer Students Succeed in Secondary Schools and Beyond
- Heritage Language Education: A New Field Emerging
- Immersion Education: Practices, Policies, Possibilities
- Implementing Educational Language Policy in Arizona: Legal, Historical and Current Practices in SEI
- Improving Early Literacy in PreK-3: Lessons Learned