The Center for Applied Linguistics develops a variety of publications related to the teaching and learning of languages, linguistics, policy, immigrant and refugee integration, and more.
Our publications are described within this section and also cross-referenced under the appropriate topic areas for your convenience. We invite you to browse our complete list of publications. Click on a title below for a brief description. To learn more or to order, visit the CAL Store.
Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education has been updated to reflect new knowledge, practices, and policies in the arena of dual language education. The third edition of this widely used resource is designed to serve as an effective tool for planning, self-reflection, and continual improvement.
Based on a 21st century approach to academic literacy that is aligned with today’s rigorous standards, this resource provides research-based strategies and practical, hands-on tools to help educators develop effective classroom activities. The package includes a comprehensive workbook supported by authentic classroom video and two complete unit plans on CD-ROM.
- A History of Applied Linguistics: From 1980s to the Present
- Adult Biliteracy in the United States
- Adult English Proficiency Assessments
- American Bilingual Tradition
- America’s Languages: Investing in Language Education for the 21st Century
- An Insider's Guide to SIOP Coaching
- Assessment for Language Instructors: The Basics - Online Course
- BEST Literacy Test Manual
- Bilingual Community Education and Multilingualism: Beyond Heritage Languages in a Global City
- Bilingualism in Schools and Society